Monday, April 12, 2010

"Girl on Bus - Jerusalem"

A girl got on the bus today
Who reminded me of
My friend Elaine in our youth -
The same sharp Modigliani nose,
The heavy hair piled high,
The serious eyes.
If I mention her worn grey coat,
Her purple scarf, her brown boots -
It's only because I found myself
Taking in everything about her.
I tried to be discreet
But she had a shy awareness
Of being looked at, so I feigned
Interest in the rain-soaked sky,
The familiar bus route going by.
She was tall and could have been
Imposing - but she looked vulnerable -
Her dark eyes wandering from this to that
Having nothing but a black umbrella
In her lap.

When she got up to leave
I suddenly wanted to tell her
She was beautiful, but my words
Couldn't find their moment,
So I sent them flying out the bus,
Not wanting the streets to swallow her -
Not wanting to let her go
Without some kind of blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment