Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Consuming Occupation

June 19, '13

                          A Consuming Occupation

    Happy my years of teaching though passing few -
    Ever since I watched my fourth grade teacher stand
    And take the desk keys in her beautiful chalk- dusted hand,
    I have known what I wanted to do.
    But the past has claimed my teaching of the young -
    Newer things beckon ahead in the sun -
    Occupations may differ but all are life's summits,
    At my current peak, you can find me writing sonnets.
    What if I could combine poetry and writing,
    With teaching to a group of peers -
    Call it "a literary summit - hands on - exciting",
    Where choice of work and pleasure adheres?
    Recall Frost who wanted to make his avocation
                                       and vocation one -
    Earth and heaven benefit only when work is
                                       passionately done.
                                      
                                             
                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment