Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Color Me No Color

      June 12, '13   
        
                     Color Me No Color

   "I will raise aloft the milk-white rose" -
   I didn't write that but the Poet everyone knows -
   That is why I sit like a fractious little scholar,
   Stubbornly refusing to write about color.
   "My luv is like a red red rose" penned the Scotish bard.
   Why was he the first and last to write it?
   Time's anthologies find perennial delight in it -
   Could such an unadorned utterance have been so hard?
   Genius is a simple thing when all is said -
   It cannot be understood or explained.
   It takes hold of color and lifts it above the mundane -
   White is whiter through its craft - redder red.
   Ask me to write on flowers, I'll take my stand -
   But 'color' alone! - this little poet sits with folded hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment